Friday 27 July 2012

Best Ever Gooey Chocolate Brownies

I know, I know. Brownies are not a tart but from time to time I'll stretch the boundaries a bit and feature tart-like recipes.
I have a confession. I don't like chocolate. Weird I know but I'm convinced I was hypnotised when I watched Paul McKenna on This Morning cure a woman of her chocolate addiction by getting her visualise a bar of chocolate with worms, straw and all sorts of other nasties wiggling around in it. Well, it worked for me. Ever since then I really haven't fancied chocolate at all. White chocolate however is a different matter, he didn't get me on that one luckily.
Anyway, I'm always being asked for a good brownie recipe and this, according to my trusty tasters, is one of the best and it's it's really easy too. I've added chunks of white chocolate to this batch but you could leave it plain or replace it with pecan nuts, chunks of Oreo cookies or chopped fudge. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream for an indulgent pud or cold as a cake. It also freezes well as a slab or cut into pieces.




Makes 16 good-sized brownies
Takes about 50 mins

250g butter
400g dark chocolate, broken into squares
5 eggs
350g light brown muscovado sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour
200g white chocolate, chopped

1 Heat the oven to 180C, Fan 160C, gas 4. Grease a 23cm x 30cm baking tin and line the base and sides with baking parchment. Melt the butter and dark chocolate in a pan over a low heat, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. Leave to cool slightly.

2 Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together until light and fluffy, this will take about 5 mins. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture and fold in the flour until evenly mixed. Stir in about two-thirds of the white chocolate and tip the mixture into the prepared tin. Spread level and scatter remaining white chocolate over the top.

3 Bake for 25-30 mins until shiny, slightly cracked on the top and just firm to the touch. Cool slightly then cut into 16 pieces.



No comments:

Post a Comment